As a business we are relentlessly focused on doing everything we can to support the riders working with us, to bring customers safe deliveries from the best restaurants across the country, and to support the communities in which we operate.
We would like to share an update on the action we have taken so far, more is to come and they will be shared on this blog.
Improving customer safety
To support our customers, we have taken decisive action to ensure the highest hygiene standards and provide reassurance that we still provide the same incredible service that they know and love.
Deliveroo was the first Belgium delivery platform to introduce a new contact-free delivery service so that customers and riders can pick up their food safely left on the doorstep. Alongside this, we have taken additional precautions and asked our restaurant partners to introduce contact-free pick up with Deliveroo riders, so that every order is delivered safely.
Finally, we want to reassure our customers that the European Food Safety Authority has said that "there is currently no evidence that food is a likely source or route of transmission of the virus".
Caring for our riders
Throughout this period the safety and well-being of our riders have been an overriding priority. They play a vital public service role and help people get the food they need and want at this challenging time, but we know they have to do so safely and securely.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19, our dedicated rider support team has provided constant advice to riders on how to stay safe, as well as hygiene guidance based on Government advice. Guidance and updates are available on the rider website.
We have made sure that our riders have access to hand sanitizer and masks and have asked all of our restaurant partners to provide riders with access to soap and water or hand sanitising gel.
For those riders that are diagnosed with COVID-19 or who are told to self-isolate by a medical authority, support is available. We put in place a rider support fund to provide financial support for riders. We have also provided constant advice on government support that is available to self-employed people. This can be found here.
Strengthening restaurant support
Deliveroo is here to deliver for restaurants who want to carry on offering their amazing food to families at home during this difficult time.
To amplify this message, we launched a new global campaign #HereToDeliver to help our customers know that their local restaurants are still open and ready to help.
We have seen thousands of new restaurants join Deliveroo who did not perform delivery services until now. Restaurants turning to delivery on Deliveroo include large chains, local family favourites, high-end starred-restaurants as well as smaller takeaways.
Deliveroo is using our expertise to help guide restaurants as they make the transition from dine-in to delivery-only outlets. Deliveroo is the only platform, for example, to publish detailed guidance on how restaurants can run delivery-only outlets safely, covering issues such as how to minimise contact, packaging and hygiene best practice. Deliveroo has extensive expertise in this area which it will share with restaurants across Belgium.
We have also:
- Developed bespoke online marketing support for restaurants to let customers know they are operating delivery services
- Established teams of people across the business to recruit and support restaurants who want to be able to deliver food
- Lowered onboarding fees for new restaurants
- Introduced a new fast cash payment for restaurants within a week instead of bi-monthly
- Developed an app to introduce 'contact-free delivery' so that restaurants can give confidence to consumers that delivery is conducted safely
- Shared expert advice and guidance on how to operate safely during the outbreak
- Campaigned for more support for restaurants from government
Supporting the community
To support the wider community, we have recently launched several initiatives to deliver over 5000 free meals to health workers and hospitals across Belgium.
Those in the health system working night and day to save lives are the real heroes of this crisis, and we want to do our small part to support them. Thanks to our dedicated riders and the generosity of our restaurant partners and their teams who are keeping kitchens open to serve those most in need, we hope to be able to make a difference:
- Together with Loola, Deliveroo has delivered 1.500 pizzas to the reanimation service staff of the Chirec-Delta Hospital.
- At Antwerp, thanks to a partnership with HeroMeals and several restaurants (involving Soekmekaar et Midori), Deliveroo delivered 600 meals to the different hospitals of the city (ZNA Middelheim, AZ Monica, ZNA Joosten et ZNA Hogenbeuken)
- We have also decided to help the association Meals of Gratitude and launched a new in-app function called "Support Hospital Heroes – Meals of Gratitude", so that customer can donate and help bring free meals to our incredible healthcare workers and the other heroes of this crisis, such as Police officers.
Nothing would make us more proud than to use the network we have built to support those in the front line, learn more about this initiative here.