As the year comes to a close, food delivery service Deliveroo takes a moment to reflect on the food highlights of 2018 and reveal the most popular dishes around the world, as chosen by its customers. From bubble tea to burritos - this year's eclectic mix of take-away favourites certainly makes for an interesting read. Here's a taster of this year's top ten dishes on Deliveroo around the world:
Deliveroo's top ten most-ordered dishes 2018
- Pad Thaï from Thaï at Home, Paris
- Cheeseburger from Five Guys, London
- Sushi Lovers Poke Bowl from CALI-POKE, Dubai
- Burrito from Boojum, Dublin
- Bubble Tea from Tenren's Tea, Hong Kong
- Grilled Chicken Burrito from Guzman Y Gomez, Sydney
- Burrito from Gonzalez & Co, Barcelona
- Beef Burger from Tommi's Burger Joint, Berlin
- Poke Bowl from Temakery, Amsterdam
- 2 Hot Wings® from KFC, Brighton
While noodles and Hawaiian poke bowls were trending this year, 2018 also saw healthy plant-based dishes grow in popularity. A firm favourite in last year, pizza remained a top choice for food delivery around the world with five appearing in the top 100. Deliveroo also reports an increase in orders of more traditional takeaway cuisines, with favourites including a Doner Kebab from German Doner Kebab in Birmingham and Satay from Xian Street Food in Galway. A closer look at Deliveroo's top 100 reveals some fun foodie ordering trends over the course of 2018.
With orders of healthy options almost tripling this year, it's no surprise dishes like The Original vegan Açaí Bowl from the UAE's The Acai Spot or Singapore's Harvest Protein & Grain Bowl from Harvest have made it into the top 100. The most frequently occuring dish in the list, featuring twelve times, from eight different countries is the incredibly instagrammable and equally nutritious Poke Bowl.
But it's not all raw fish and salads. Our classic comfort foods - burgers and burritos - fill almost a fifth of the spots on this year's Deliveroo 100, with favourites including Dublin's Boojum Burrito and Germany's Classic Burger from Tommi's Burger Joint.
It seems people have also developed a sweeter tooth this year, with five times more desserts appearing in this years top 100 compared to last, including the Banana Pudding from Dubai-based Magnolia Bakery and Berlin's Happy Waffle from Waffle Brothers.
14. Boulette Sauce Brusseleir from Ballekes, Brussels
46. Salmon Poke from Poki Poké, Brussels
59. Big Joe from Les Super Filles du Tram, Brussels
64. Manifesto Burger from Paul's Boutique Station, Ghent
91. Cheeseburger from Quick, Brussels
93. Bavet Spaghetti from Bavet, Antwerp
For the full list of Deliveroo's 100 most popular dishes ordered around the world in 2018, click here.